Monday, November 17, 2014

Week the Next (...It's Week 17)

So, right after I finished my last letter we went outside, and it was snowing. Like, snow was falling down from the sky. It was pretty funny because me and a sister from Texas were really excited, and everybody else didn't really care. This week it got down to -17 without wind in effect (then it was -42). It was pretty cold. All of the roads were covered in ice, and there was a bunch of accidents. We managed to get around safely though. I slid around a couple of corners, but now I'm letting Elder Wilson drive...
This week was much slower, but we have 5 people on date now, and a couple others are almost there. I think one of them might fall off, but everyone else is super solid. Something that we have been sharing with members is the 21-day promise. This says that if you make a list of all those who you want to share the gospel with, and pray for each of those people every night, at least one of them will accept the invitation to meet with the missionaries. What a powerful promise. We've seen a lot of success with it, in fact, I would invite everyone reading to do this. It's a powerful promise with powerful blessings!
I found some really cool scriptures that I want to share really quick. The first one was actually sent to me by someone from home, but it had a really big impact. It's found in 1st Corinthians 8:9 

"But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become stumbling block to them that are weak." 

Is there anything in our conduct, or the way we live our lives that could cause a stumbling-block to those around us that we care about? Even if we do not feel the ill-effects of doing wrong, how are we affecting those around us? It's why the Word of Wisdom was "adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints".

And my new favorite scripture is found in Acts 18:

 9  Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by visionBe not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:


 10  For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.

 11  And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

I'm loving my mission so far, and I love serving up here in Rock Springs, or as it's called here, Zion. I love you all, and hope to hear from you every day.

- Elder Martineau

No comments:

Post a Comment